The Kelso Folk and Live Music Club is pleased to announce the line-up for this year’s folk festival. As in past years, this will be a weekend of live concerts featuring award-wining acts, combined with sessions, workshops and open mics offering a showcase for local talent. This year there are four great ticketed concerts to catch. On the Friday night we kick off in spectacular style with classically trained and BBC Young traditional musician of 2023 Amy Laurenson and her band, who draw from the Shetland tradition in her own unique way. With them on the same bill are the powerhouse duo of Will Pound and Jenn Butterworth, phenomenal high octane players of traditional music on mouth organ and guitar. On Saturday lunchtime we have the band Wayward Jane who have developed their very own Old-Time sound with claw hammer banjo, double bass, fiddle, flute, guitars and vocals. On the Saturday night we are delighted to welcome two greats of the Scottish folk scene – guitarist and melodeon player Tim Edey and Highland piper Ross Ainslie collaborating together to give you a spectacular show. Also appearing that night are duo Steve Hicks and Lynn Goulbourn, with their entertaining and eclectic mix of songs and stunning guitarmanship. Finally our Sunday lunchtime concert features the legendary songwriter and performer Jez Lowe.
In addition we will have outdoor events on the Saturday afternoon (weather permitting) and the opportunity to participate in our sessions, singarounds and open mics, whether you are a singer or musician or simply wish to listen to some great live music. All are welcome to join in, and you are sure to find like-minded musicians/singers. For those wanting to improve their skills and gain inspiration, there will be workshops on the Saturday morning. All this is going on in the beautiful Borders town of Kelso, a great tourist destination!
Programme at a glance (see concerts for more details)
Friday 6th September
- Opening Concert at the Old Parish Church, 7.30-10.30 pm. Amy Laurenson quartet and Will Pound and Jenn Butterworth.
- Open mic session, The Cobbles Inn, 10.30-12.00 pm.
Saturday 7th September
- Morning workshops.
- Lunchtime Concert at the Old Parish Church, 12.30-2.00 pm. Wayward Jane with support.
- Outdoor events in the Town Square, 2.00-4.00 pm.
- Afternoon open sessions at The Cross Keys and Rutherfords Micropub, 2-5 pm.
- Concert: Old Parish Church, 7.30-10.30 pm. Tim Edey and Ross Ainslie and Hicks and Goulbourn.
Sunday 8th September
- Traditional tunes session at The Cross Keys, 10.30-12.00 pm.
- Lunchtime Concert at the Old Parish Church, 12.30-2.00 pm. Jez Lowe and the Bad Pennies with support
- Farewell singaround at the Cross Keys, 2.30-4.30 pm.